Friday, February 6, 2015



MARBLE CUBE
1.       You need 1 ¼ inch square cubes made from the wood of your choice. And some marbles the ones I am using are about six tenths of an inch in diameter.
a.       I cut down some scrap 2x3  to make the cubes if you are going to use this method. First remove the rounded edge on one side, you will need to cut about a quarter of an inch off of it. Then remove the other rounded corners you can do this by cutting the board to the 1 ¼ inch square size.
b.      Now cut them into inch and a quarter cubes since I am making a batch of them I used a chop saw and stop block, so I can repeat the cut.
c.       Confirm that they are about square being of a sixteenth of an inch will not cause any major problems with this project.

2.       Mark the center of one side of a cube by drawing a line diagonally from corner to corner, where these lines cross should be the center. If you are just making one it will probably be easier just to do this to all the sides if you are making a batch of them then you will probably find it easier to mark one side and set up a jig on the drill press for repeated holes.
a.       The jig I used was a piece of a strap clamp secured to a piece of wood and the wood then clamped to the drill press so that the bit would repeatedly go through the center of each cube.
b.      I used a half inch forcener bit to drill the holes (any half inch bit should work) I drilled them about a half inch deep through the center of each cube, avoid the temptation to drill all the way through or even close since you will drill a hole in all sides you can leave a quarter inch piece on the inside space and it will break free when all the holes are drilled this helps to prevent tear out.
                                                              i.      Drill the end grain first as this seems to be the most prone to tear out.

3.       With the holes drilled and remnants of debris removed from the cubes I blow them out with an air compressor. Now submerge them in hot water for twenty four hours, you don’t need to keep filling the container with hot water you just start with hot water
a.       If you are just doing one or two a cup might be big enough, but for larger batches, a plastic container with a lid that you can fill up to the top is what you will want to use just make sure that there is enough room between the cubes so they can absorb the water. (You should have enough room that they don’t need to touch each other in the water)
b.      After they have soaked for a day you will be able to press in the marbles in to them I use a vise and small socket but a clamp and small piece of dowel will work too. (If they start to split, put them back in the water to soak for a while longer. This is the reason I make them in batches so I have some extras in case of breakage)
4.       Let them dry
a.       At this point you can sand them smooth I used 120 grit on a belt sander and finished with 400 on the orbital.
b.      Use the finish you want just try to avoid finishes that are sticky you might get the marble glued to one side of the cube. (I used teak oil in this case).  Let them dry and you are done

No comments:

Post a Comment